Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Reader Horror Story #1: Cox Arizona, Home of the 7-hour Install

Today's Field Service Horror Story comes from sunny Phoenix, AZ:

In January 2013, I moved. I called to transfer my Cox HSD and DVR service, and requested a Self-Install. I was told that option was not available and that for some reason, due to the packages to which I subscribed, a $50 "Professional Installation" was required. I was unsuccessful in getting the CSR to bend on this, and chose not to escalate it. I had to coordinate this with work, as the installation required me to miss some time at the office.

My install was scheduled for an AM appointment, January 21, if memory serves correctly. The contractor arrived on time at 8:05 am, after pre-calling to confirm I was available. I walked him through the property, and showed him the three existing RF outlets that I would be using as well as the location of the ground block and house box enclosure. So far, so good.

The tech disappeared for a few minutes to connect my service at the tap. I took the opportunity to help him out by connecting my modem using coax I had available and plugging it in. It came online immediately. Again, so far, so good. 

I came out of the bedroom to find the tech on the phone with Dispatch, swapping my DVR in the living room. He stated that my DVR had failed and was not displaying any video on any channel.
This was approximately 8:35 am. I disagree with this, as it worked the night before at the previous residence.

Several minutes later, the box is swapped on my account and Dispatch called the tech back to confirm. Again, no video on this box either. Dispatch confirms that my account is active for video in the billing system (presumably, I heard only one half of the conversation.)

I went to my computer and connected to the modem's admin console. I've forgotten the exact numbers in the last six months, but DOCSIS downstream was about +15, and upstream was +39 dB. This looks like low return loss and good forward signal; too good in fact. This is pretty hot to be hitting the back of the modem.

Meanwhile, at this point, the tech begins to try anything he can think of. In the few minutes my laptop took to boot up, the tech removed the dual coax outlet that was originally installed by the previous Dish provider, and replaces it with a single outlet. The cosmetics in the living room interior were not considered, nor was the 3/8" hole in my siding sealed with silicone (pictured).


I mentioned the high signal level in the bedroom. The tech asserts that the no-video condition in the living room was due to a bad outlet (2 of them?), and installs a two-way splitter in front of my modem (pictured). 
He goes back to the living room and resumes swapping out DVR after DVR. Since my internet is working (most of the time), I logged onto the office VPN and got a little work done since I was missing the full morning from the office. Meanwhile, the tech starts swapping splitters and connectors in the house box, and DVRs in the living room. He keeps pulling up the diagnostic screen on the DVRs which is showing -45 db of signal on whatever important FDC carrier he was tuning to. Meanwhile, the same diagnostic screen reports +42 dB of return power.

At some point shortly after 12 noon, I realized I was alone in the house. I found the tech in his truck, eating a bag of chips. I thought, "OK, he has been working all morning. Nothing wrong with a snack." A half-hour later, he was still in the driver's seat, and looked as though he'd been dozing. I asked him if he had any information about the issue, and told me he'd start working on it again, after 1, after lunch.

At about 1:15 pm, the tech came back into the house and tried to install his final DVR in inventory. It also did not get any video. The tech started to tell me how they would need to reschedule the job. I told him this was unacceptable and I'd already missed a half day of work. He said he'd have to call his supervisor. 

At this point, I realized the tech had not ever used a signal level meter while on site. I asked him if Cox provided meters to contractors, since it would probably be extremely helpful. The tech sighed, hung his head (as though I'd asked him to perform some disgusting task), and mumbled "It's in the truck." He shuffled out to the truck and brought in the meter. He puzzled over it for about 10 minutes both inside and out. He had good forward signal on his modem carriers in both the living room and bedroom. At this point, I asked him to check levels in the master bedroom, where I wanted a TV with basic analog. The tech cuts a jumper for me, and connects it to the wall to check with the meter. There was no signal at all there (more on this later), and at this point the tech gives up and calls the supervisor.
 

The supervisor comes, and tries to swap out the DVR yet again with a box off his truck. Same result. I again suggest the meter. The supervisor grabs the meter from his truck and checks the living room outlet. He moves to the ground block, and tells me they'll be right back. They go to the tap (an LE pedestal at the end of my driveway) and come back in a few minutes. The DVR now works. 
As they start packing up to leave, I asked what the problem was. It turns out that the previous customer had modem only, and subscribed to Dish for video (as evidenced by the dual RG6 outlet in my living room). The modem trap was never removed. I asked for my original DVR back, as it was obviously not defective. The tech goes to get it and reinstall it. At this point the supervisor leaves. It is approximately 3 pm. A COX representative has been on site for nearly 7 hours.

I asked if the master bedroom outlet can be checked to make sure it was working. The tech tells me he really doesn't have the time. This is bullshit, but since I've missed nearly a full day of work, I don't exactly have the time to argue. The tech leaves, and I go about my day. 

Two days later, I investigate the master bedroom TV situation. The outlet is cut off inside the closet wall, which is immediately obvious when you go look at the hole in the exterior siding. 


I walk around the house to the ground block, where I find scrap coax and extra splitters strewn around my unsecured house box enclosure (pictured). The bonding wire is attached to the splitter at one end, and thin air at the other. 

At this point, I'm just thankful everything works. I'll do the wiring myself in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment